A fire can be life-threatening, causing family members to quickly exit the home, often before important family belongings can be retrieved. When Cornerstone Appraisal & Restoration receives an assignment of fire damage to a home or business, our first thoughts are with the well-being of family members. We will take care to explain the restoration process and answer any questions. Cornerstone Appraisal & Restoration will work with your Insurance Claims Personnel & Adjusters, providing a seamless line of communication during your project.
Next, we will focus on securing the home. This is accomplished by boarding up and tarping any unsecured openings, including windows, doors, or other openings caused by the fire. This will prevent further damage from vandals, and limit potential injury for anyone who might enter the damaged dwelling.
Then, we will apply for necessary approvals or permits from the town or local agency and begin the restoration process. Again, our goal is to provide prompt, quality service, and to return your home to original condition as quickly as possible.
What you might consider towards restoration and repair from fire damage
- Blow off or brush-vacuum loose smoke particles from upholstery, drapes and carpets.
- Change furnace filter if blower is operating.
- Clean and protect chrome trim on kitchen appliances or bathroom fixtures with a light coating of Vaseline or other oil.
- Open windows for ventilation.
- Empty freezer and refrigerator completely if electricity is off and prop doors open.
- If the heat is off in winter, call a plumber to drain heating and pour antifreeze in toilet bowls, sinks and tubs to prevent freezing.
- Wipe or attempt to wash walls, ceilings or other absorbent surfaces.
- Use upholstered furniture if it can be avoided.
- Use exposed food items or canned goods which have been subjected to excessive heat or smoke.
- Use TV’s, stereos or electrical appliances until cleaned and checked.
- Send smoked garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Special procedures are required to fully eliminate smoke odor.
- Do not enter the damaged site without clearance from the fire department. Fires can rekindle from smoldering embers or residual heat.
First, call your insurance company. Then, call Cornerstone Appraisal & Restoration at 1-888-831-5011.